Friday, February 19, 2010

What is Good for the Soul?

I'm sure everyone who reads this would be able to come up with their own list of things to do that are good for one's soul. Tonight I had just such an experience of one activity that lent itself to being good for my soul. And, so, I just wanna share that experience with you, the reader.

Once a month at our church we have a "family ministry night" where families from the church gather together and work. The work consists of bagging groceries which will then be used to give away for free to anyone in need in the local community.

So let me try to paint a picture for you of how the evening went for me. First of all, I was a little tired from a long day of work. And, I'm sure others were too. But, I told myself it was just one evening, and I was just checking it out to see what they do. So, after driving around the church parking lot for awhile I finally figured out where to meet, and parked my car (oh, the new car that God has loaned to me by the way). Immediately I saw the Frala family and the Kwik family walking so I knew I was in the right spot. And, we greeted each other and we talked together for a bit. Karen had us meet in a group and introduce ourselves and then prayed to begin our evening. We each had a table and a certain item to put in each grocery bag, and we all helped out. There was an old man there, he must have been in his 60s or 70s, with gray hair. And, the kids helped out too. So, as we were working we also chatted~I got to chat with Cathy and Nackwon. But, it wasn't just "chatting"~we were visiting. And, it was just fun on so many different levels. One, we were being together. And, two, we were serving together. The bags that we packed would be used to help someone else in need. And, three, we got to hang out and talk together afterwards some more. God also gave me another gift through Karen, and that was the gift of some free groceries for me (thanks Lord).

So, to sum up, I would suggest the following:
1. Being together is good for the soul.
2. Talking together is good for the soul.
3. Serving together is good for the soul.
4. Doing something nice for someone else is good for the soul (similar to number 3).
5. Laughing together is good for the soul (we had a few good laughs together too).
6. Seeing your friends is good for the soul (I ran into Cate's family that night too.)
7. Giving to others is good for the soul. God has a way of taking care of you when we extend ourselves to others, in "big or small" ways.
8. Sharing life together is good for the soul.

Let us, let me, be a person who enters in to living a life that is "good for the soul".

No comments: