Monday, June 20, 2011

Weight Loss Tips

I wasn't sure what to title this blog. But, weight loss tips seemed appropriate, so here goes. Many people have asked me what I've been doing to lose weight? So, this blog is an attempt to self-disclose what I did since January 2011.

My friend offered to help me lose weight, and I said "okay". Then she taught what to do, what NOT to do; she taught me what to eat as well as what not to eat. I followed her advice to the T and have lost a significant as well as noticeable amount of weight since the beginning of this year.

I ate the right foods in the right amounts. I thought about what I put in my mouth. I recorded everything I ate in a food journal. I began by counting total daily fat grams consumed; later I switched over to yes, counting the dreaded calories! I ate a salad a day for lunch!! I used low calorie dressings like sesame ginger soy types. I limited my dressing portion to 1 or 2 tablespoons. I included foods like lean meats and fish into my meals (I wanted to say diet here but in reality this has been more of a lifestyle change than a diet in my mind). For rice I ate only a little bit daily; exactly one serving of rice, which turns out to be half cup cooked rice. I limited my white flour intake to none for the 1st 6 weeks; after that time I slowly included some, but definately not alot!!! I made sure to drink lots of water. I bought a 32 ounce water bottle and drank it through out the day, filling it up twice a day; this amounted to 64 ounces of water per day, or 8 cups of water daily! I omitted liquid sugars from my intake; I took out soda, and fruit juice. I drink at least one cup of hot brewed green tea every morning. I drink non-fat milk. I incuded a small serving of yogurt daily to help digestive tract naturally and intake of calcium and vitamin D.

I also included exercise in my weekly routine. My friend, Jane, wanted me to exercise every day but I started out a little bit slowly. First week 2 or 3 times a week of something aerobic, and gradually increased my workouts to 4 or 5. Now I have found Zumba (Latin dance) to be exhilirating, and fun, and a marvelous calorie burner too!

I also began watching the tv episodes, Biggest Loser weekly. That proved to be a motivating and inspirational activity for me.

Good luck on your journey of health and fitness!! I wish YOU all the best!!

No comments: